Access and User Regulations
General Scientific/Research Usage
For accessing and using the Lichtenberg cluster as a scientist, the following is necessary:
1) Project – you need a project to account the computing resources on. The application can be found here: Project Application.
Medium and Large projects are scrutinized scientifically (according to the conditions of the steering committee). Small projects will just be checked technically for feasibility.
2) Access – to log in and submit jobs on your project, you also need a user account (according to the user regulations). The application form needs to be filled, signed and its original (in paper form) sent to us.
Your user account (2) can be extended even without valid/running project, for you to have access to your research data even after end of a project (eg. to transfer and back up data from the file systems of the HPC to your own storage).
Using the HLR for Lectures, Courses and Trainings
For accessing the Lichtenberg cluster in the context of lectures and courses, please find further details here:Lectures and workshops“.
Recommendation: In order to have a smooth and efficient start of work with the Lichtenberg-HPC, we advise all new users to attend the ”Introduction to the Lichtenberg High Performance Computer" mentioned below.
Deadlines – application deadline for L proposals
- Project start 1st Feb.: deadline 1st Nov. of the year before
- Project start 1st May: deadline 1st Feb. (same year).
- Project start 1st Aug.: deadline 1st May (same year)
- Project start 1st Nov.: deadline 1st Aug. (same year)
Information for new users
For the (potential) users of the Lichtenberg supercomputer, a monthly introduction will be held in Darmstadt. Subjects are the available hardware and the general use of the (batch) system. go
To avoid usage restrictions due to the “Corona situation”, a campus-wide license (CWL) is available for MATLAB, Simulink and all adjacent toolboxes as well as a variety of e-learning materials. The CWL is valid with immediate effect, and will last until 2020-09-30. go